150th Post - October Overview

Finally, here are my recommendations for October, hope you enjoy them and find them interesting to watch, listen and eat. In the meantime, October has a lot to offer especially in London, so head this month and take in all the best new events, exhibitions and best events in the capital.

It’s October, and I’m not quite sure how we got here. This year has somehow managed to feel like it has flown by and dragged on at exactly the same time, which I’m sure makes no sense, but feels completely accurate.

There are moments from earlier this year that feel like they happened yesterday, yet when I think about everything that has happened since, it feels like I’ve lived through several different versions of myself. So much can change in a year, even when it doesn’t always feel like you’re moving forward.

More than anything, I think I’m just tired. Tired of the constant thinking, the endless list of things to deal with, the pressure to keep going and the feeling that there is always something else waiting around the corner. Not necessarily tired in a way that a good night’s sleep can fix, but tired from simply carrying everything that comes with everyday life.

Maybe that’s why October feels different. It’s the point in the year where you naturally start looking back, realising how much has happened and wondering where all the time went. There’s often a pressure to think about what you’ve achieved by now, what you still need to do and whether the year has turned out the way you imagined it would.

But maybe it doesn’t always have to be about what we’ve achieved. Maybe getting through the difficult days, changing, learning and simply making it this far counts for something too.

So, as October begins, I’m trying not to put too much pressure on what’s left of the year. I don’t have everything figured out, and I’m certainly not where I thought I would be, but perhaps that’s okay.

The year has flown by and dragged at the same time, and somewhere in between all of it, I’ve become a little tired. So for the rest of it, I think I just want to take things a little more gently, appreciate where I am and stop feeling like I’m always supposed to be somewhere else.




The 90s: Art and Fashion

If Tate’s 2025 programme was big on the 80s – thanks to Photographing Britain and Leigh Bowery! – then 2026 is all about The 90s! Following on from a major Tracey Emin retrospective at Tate Modern, its sister gallery Tate Britain will host a blockbuster autumn show about British art, fashion, photography and pop culture in the final decade of the last millenium.

And if that isn’t already a tasty enough prospect, it’s being curated by none other than former British Vogue editor Edward Enninful OBE. Expect flashy photography from the likes of Juergen Teller, Nick Knight, David Sims and Corrine Day, iconic looks from Vivienne Westwood and Alexander McQueen, and era-defining artworks by Damien Hirst, Gillian Wearing, and Yinka Shonibare.



Comments

Popular Posts