Meet People Where They Meet You

One of the things I’ve learnt as I’ve got older is that you cannot force a connection. You can care deeply about someone, you can make an effort, you can reach out, make plans, check in and do everything you can to keep a relationship moving, but ultimately, a connection has to have some movement from both sides. There comes a point where you have to stop trying so hard and allow people to show you where they want to meet you.

For a long time, I probably put too much responsibility on myself for maintaining relationships. If I hadn’t heard from someone for a while, I would be the one to reach out. If plans weren’t being made, I would suggest something. If a conversation had gone quiet, I would find a way to start it again. I thought that making the effort was simply what you did when you valued someone, and in many ways I still believe that it is. The difference now is that I’ve learnt there is a point where making an effort can quietly turn into chasing something that isn’t being reciprocated.

There is a strange amount of clarity that comes from deciding not to do that anymore.

Not as a game, and certainly not as a way of testing people, but simply by stepping back and allowing a relationship to exist without constantly being pushed forward by you. You stop sending the message, stop making every plan and stop being the person who always checks in, and then you see what happens. Sometimes the person you thought had drifted away suddenly reaches out. Sometimes they make the effort you had been waiting for. Sometimes the relationship finds a much more natural balance because you have finally given the other person room to contribute.

And sometimes nothing happens at all.

As difficult as that can be, I think there is something valuable in that realisation too. When you stop doing all the work, you sometimes discover that you were carrying far more of the relationship than you realised. That can hurt, particularly when the person matters to you, but it can also be freeing. You no longer have to spend your time wondering whether you should reach out again, whether they are interested in seeing you, or whether you are somehow doing something wrong. You have simply allowed the relationship to reveal itself.

That is what I mean when I say, meet people where they meet you.

It doesn't mean that every relationship has to be perfectly equal all of the time. Life doesn't work like that. There will be periods when one person needs more from the other, when someone is busy or struggling or simply has less capacity to give. A healthy relationship can accommodate those seasons. Meeting someone where they meet you is not about keeping score or counting who sent the last message. It is about recognising whether there is a genuine desire from both people to maintain the connection.

I think there is an important distinction between making an effort and chasing a relationship. Making an effort comes from a place of care. You reach out because you want to, because you value the person and because you want them to know that. Chasing feels different. Chasing happens when you are continually trying to get someone's attention, time or affection when they aren't naturally offering it. Eventually, you can find yourself putting more energy into keeping the relationship alive than the relationship is giving back to you.

I've learnt that I don't want to live like that anymore.

I don't want to convince people to spend time with me. I don't want to repeatedly ask someone to make space for me in their life. I don't want to be constantly wondering whether someone actually wants the relationship or whether I'm simply keeping it going because I'm afraid to let go. There is something much more peaceful about allowing people to show you what they want rather than continually trying to work it out for them.

Of course, this doesn't mean becoming passive or deciding that you will never make the first move. Some of the best relationships in our lives begin because someone had the courage to reach out first. People are different, and not everyone is naturally good at initiating contact. Some people are busy, some are distracted and some simply express care in ways that are very different from our own.

That's why meeting people where they meet you isn't about expecting everyone to behave exactly as you would. It's about being willing to understand their way of communicating while also paying attention to whether they are making some effort to meet you too.

Perhaps that's the part I've found most important: pay attention to what people show you, rather than only listening to what you hope they mean.

If someone consistently makes time for you, value that. If someone checks in, check in with them. If someone wants to see you, make the effort to see them. If someone is always there when it matters, recognise that and don't take it for granted. But if you are repeatedly the only person initiating, planning, checking in and trying to keep things alive, it is okay to step back and see whether the relationship continues without you carrying it.

Sometimes stepping back doesn't mean walking away. Sometimes it simply gives the other person the opportunity to step forward.

And if they don't, then perhaps you have your answer.

I've also learnt that not every connection is meant to last forever, and that doesn't necessarily make it a bad or unsuccessful relationship. People move through different seasons of life, and sometimes two people who were once incredibly close simply end up on different paths. There can be sadness in that, but there doesn't have to be resentment. You can appreciate what a relationship was without spending the rest of your life trying to recreate it.

I think we sometimes hold onto people because we remember how good the connection once felt, rather than paying attention to what it feels like now. We keep reaching backwards, trying to restore something that may have naturally changed. But relationships, like people, evolve. Sometimes the healthiest thing we can do is stop forcing them to remain what they once were.

So I'm learning to be more comfortable with letting things breathe. I'm learning that I can care about someone without constantly pursuing them. I can miss someone without always being the one to reach out. I can leave the door open without standing in the doorway waiting for someone to walk through it.

Most importantly, I'm learning that my energy is valuable, and I want to give it to relationships where it is received and returned.

Make the effort, of course. Tell people you care about them. Reach out when you genuinely want to. Be the person who shows up, because there is nothing wrong with caring deeply and making the first move.

But then allow other people the opportunity to meet you.

Because sometimes you don't need to try harder. You just need to stop for a moment and see who comes towards you when you stop doing all the walking.

And perhaps that's what meeting people where they meet you really means: not expecting everyone to love, communicate or show up exactly as you do, but recognising when someone is genuinely making their way towards you too.

You don't have to force the connection. You don't have to chase it. You simply have to leave enough space for it to become mutual.

And whatever happens after that will probably tell you everything you need to know.




Comments

Popular Posts