The Storytelling of 'Look At My Life' by Gracie Abrams
There are some songs that you enjoy for a while and then there are songs that seem to find a feeling you have been carrying around without quite knowing how to explain it. For me, Look at My Life by Gracie Abrams is one of those songs, but particularly because of the line, “got what I wanted, it doesn’t sit right.” There is something about the simplicity of it that makes it feel even more honest, because sometimes the hardest feelings to explain are the ones where, on paper, everything should be fine.
I think we are brought up with the idea that wanting something is the difficult part and getting it is supposed to be the reward. We spend so much of our lives working towards things, imagining what they will feel like when they finally happen, and convincing ourselves that once we reach that particular point, something inside us will settle. We think that the job, the relationship, the friendship, the opportunity, the independence or whatever else we have been waiting for will somehow give us the feeling we have been looking for all along. Then, sometimes, you actually get there and realise that the feeling you imagined isn't waiting for you at the finish line.
That is what I find so striking about Look at My Life. It isn't really a song about not getting what you want; in many ways, it is about the much more complicated experience of getting it and still feeling unsettled. There is a tension throughout the song between the life that exists on the outside and the experience of actually living inside it, between being able to look at everything you have and still having that quiet feeling that something isn't quite right.
I understand that feeling more than I would probably like to admit.
There have been things in my own life that I wanted very badly, things that I thought would make me happier or more settled or more certain about who I was and where I was going. I could imagine the future version of myself who had those things, and I assumed that once I became her, everything would feel different. Sometimes I spent so much time wanting something that I almost gave it a personality of its own, as though it represented the point at which I would finally feel like I had figured everything out.
And then, sometimes, I got there.
The strange thing is that you can achieve something you once desperately wanted and still find yourself wondering why you aren't happier. There is an almost embarrassing quality to admitting that because, if you have spent so long wanting something, it can feel as though you have no right to be disappointed by it. You think about all the people who would be grateful to have what you have, and you feel guilty for questioning whether it is actually what you want anymore.
But I think that is exactly why the line “it doesn't sit right” feels so important.
It doesn't necessarily mean that you hate what you have. It doesn't mean that the decision was definitely wrong or that the thing you wanted has no value. It simply acknowledges that something feels uncomfortable, even if you can't completely explain why. Sometimes you can look at your life and know that there are plenty of things to be grateful for while still feeling strangely disconnected from it, as though you are standing slightly outside of your own life and watching yourself live it.
I have had moments like that, where I have looked at something I worked towards and wondered why it didn't feel the way I thought it would. I've questioned why something that seemed so important before suddenly felt less significant once it was actually mine, and I've had to sit with the uncomfortable possibility that perhaps I had been chasing the feeling I thought the thing would give me rather than the thing itself.
I don't think we talk enough about that distinction.
We are constantly encouraged to want more. We are told to have goals, make plans, improve ourselves and keep moving towards the next version of our lives, and there is nothing inherently wrong with any of that. The problem comes when we start believing that the next achievement will finally make us feel enough, because then there is always another destination waiting for us. We can spend years thinking that happiness is just slightly further ahead, without ever stopping to ask whether the life we are building actually feels like one we want to live.
Then one day you get there and realise that the destination isn't the problem; it is the expectation you placed on it.
Maybe that is why this song resonates with me so much. It captures the uncomfortable space between what your life looks like and what it feels like, and I think there have been periods where those two things haven't matched for me. From the outside, something might have looked like exactly what I wanted, but internally I could still feel uncertain, restless or disconnected. There is something difficult about explaining that to other people because they see the outcome, while you are the one who has to live with the feeling.
Sometimes people assume that if you have got what you wanted, you must be happy.
But what if the person who wanted it isn't the same person who eventually got it?
We change while we are waiting. Our priorities change, our relationships change, our understanding of ourselves changes, and sometimes the things we once thought would make us happy stop making sense. I think I am slowly learning that this doesn't mean the version of me who wanted those things was wrong. She wanted them for a reason. They represented something to her at the time, and perhaps she needed to experience them to understand what she actually wanted.
There is a strange kind of grief that comes with outgrowing something you once dreamed about, particularly when you have spent so long convincing yourself that it was where you were supposed to end up. It can feel like admitting defeat, as though changing your mind means all the time and effort you put into getting there was wasted.
I don't think it is.
Sometimes you have to get the thing you thought you wanted before you can understand that what you actually wanted was something else entirely.
Maybe you wanted the job because you thought it would make you feel successful, when what you really wanted was recognition. Maybe you wanted the relationship because you thought it would make you feel secure, when what you really wanted was to feel chosen. Maybe you wanted independence because you thought it would make you feel free, only to discover that what you actually missed was connection. We can become so focused on the outcome that we forget to ask what feeling we are really chasing underneath it.
I think I have done that in my own life.
I've looked at things I once wanted and wondered why having them didn't make me feel the way I imagined it would. I've questioned whether there was something wrong with me for not being completely satisfied, when perhaps there was nothing wrong at all. Perhaps I was simply beginning to understand myself better.
That is what I find comforting about the line. It doesn't say, I shouldn't have wanted this. It doesn't say, I made a terrible mistake. It simply says, I got what I wanted, and something about it doesn't feel right.
There is honesty in allowing yourself to stay in that uncertainty for a while.
You don't always have to immediately know what you are going to do about a feeling. Sometimes you can acknowledge that something doesn't fit anymore without having a perfectly formed explanation for why. You can be grateful for something and still recognise that it isn't where you want to stay. You can appreciate how far you've come while admitting that the destination isn't quite what you imagined.
I think I've spent a lot of time believing that if I chose something, I had to make it work forever. If I wanted something once, I thought I had to continue wanting it. If I worked hard to get somewhere, I felt like I needed to stay there long enough to justify all the effort it took to arrive.
But perhaps we aren't supposed to make every decision permanent.
Perhaps some things are simply part of the process of figuring ourselves out.
There is a difference between failing to appreciate what you have and recognising that something no longer feels right for you. I think that distinction matters, because it is very easy to dismiss your own feelings as being ungrateful when, in reality, you are simply becoming more honest about what you need.
Maybe the most uncomfortable part of growing up is realising that there isn't always a clear moment when you know you've made the right choice. Sometimes you make a decision because it seemed right at the time, live with it for a while, and then realise that you have changed. That doesn't make the original decision wrong. It simply means that you are allowed to change alongside your life.
And perhaps that is why Look at My Life feels so personal to me. It doesn't romanticise the idea of having everything figured out. Instead, it acknowledges that you can look at your life and still feel uncertain about the person living it. You can have things you once dreamed about and still wonder whether they belong to you anymore.
I've started to think that maybe the feeling of something not sitting right isn't always something to silence.
Maybe sometimes it is information.
Maybe it is the part of you that knows before your head does that something needs to change, that an old version of your life no longer fits, or that the thing you were chasing wasn't actually what you needed.
And perhaps getting what you wanted isn't always the end of the story.
Sometimes it is the moment when you finally have enough clarity to ask yourself what you actually want.
I don't think I have all the answers to that yet, and maybe that's okay. I am still figuring out which parts of my life feel like choices I've genuinely made and which parts came from expectations I absorbed somewhere along the way. I'm still learning that I don't have to keep something simply because I once wanted it, and that changing my mind doesn't mean I wasted the time I spent getting there.
Maybe the goal isn't to build a life that looks perfect from the outside.
Maybe it is to build one that feels right when you are the person living it.
And sometimes, when something doesn't sit right, perhaps the bravest thing you can do is stop trying to convince yourself that it should.
Comments
Post a Comment