The End of August: When You’re Ready for Summer to Be Over
There is a strange point towards the end of August when you realise you’re ready for summer to be over.
Not because summer has been bad. In fact, it’s probably been lovely. There have been long evenings, warm days, holidays, meals outside, drinks in the sun and that feeling that life is somehow a little easier when there is more light in the day. But eventually, somewhere around the final week of August, I start to feel ready for something different.
I’m ready for the evenings to get darker. I’m ready for a jumper in the morning. I’m ready to stop pretending I want to sit outside every evening just because I can. I’m ready for normality to return.
Maybe it’s because summer carries so much expectation with it.
There is this idea that summer is supposed to be the best time of the year. We are meant to be making memories, going away, seeing people, being outside, having plans and making the most of every warm evening. There is almost a pressure to enjoy it properly, as though a quiet night at home somehow means you've wasted the season.
And perhaps that is why, by the end of August, I find myself craving the opposite.
I want routine again. I want earlier nights and slower mornings. I want to know what day of the week it is. I want to make plans that don't revolve around whether the weather is going to hold. I want evenings where staying in doesn't feel like you're missing something.
But before we completely close the door on summer, I do think there is something lovely about making the most of those final few weeks.
Not in a frantic we have to squeeze every last drop out of summer kind of way, but in a more intentional way. There are certain things I like to do at the end of August that make the transition into autumn feel a little more special.
I want one last long evening outside, even if it means taking a blanket with me when the temperature drops. I want to have one more meal outdoors, watch the sunset and stay outside until it gets dark. I want to make the most of the lighter evenings without feeling like I have to fill every single one of them.
I want to go for a walk somewhere beautiful and actually notice that summer is beginning to change. The light is softer, the mornings are cooler and there are little signs everywhere that another season is on its way.
I also think the end of August is the perfect time for a little life reset.
Not a dramatic January-style reinvention, but a gentle clear-out. Tidy the room you've been ignoring. Clear out your wardrobe and put away the things you know you won't wear again until next year. Get rid of the things you've accumulated over summer. Change your bedding. Clean your space properly. Buy yourself something small that makes you excited for autumn.
There is something strangely satisfying about preparing your surroundings for a new season.
And then there are the things you can do simply for yourself.
Read the book you've been meaning to start. Have a slow morning with nowhere to be. Take yourself for coffee. Go to the cinema on a rainy evening. Cook something that takes longer than you normally have the patience for. Have a digital detox for a day. Make a playlist for the next season of your life. Write down some things you loved about the summer before you move on from it.
I particularly like that last one.
We are so quick to move onto the next thing that we don't always stop to appreciate what has just happened. Summer doesn't need to have been perfect to have been good. Maybe there were difficult moments, disappointments or plans that didn't happen, but there will still be things worth remembering.
Write them down.
The restaurant you loved. The day you laughed until your stomach hurt. The holiday you didn't want to come home from. The person you spent the most time with. The random Tuesday evening that somehow became one of your favourite nights.
You don't have to hold onto summer forever to appreciate it.
And perhaps the end of August is also a good time to do a little reflecting. Think about what you've enjoyed over the last few months and, more importantly, what you haven't enjoyed. What made you feel good? What drained you? Who did you want to spend more time with? What did you keep saying you'd do but never got around to?
You don't need to turn the answers into a list of goals.
Sometimes noticing them is enough.
There is also something quite nice about planning a few things for September rather than simply letting summer disappear. Book dinner with a friend. Plan an autumn walk. Find somewhere you've never been. Put something in the diary that gives you something to look forward to.
I think we sometimes treat the end of summer as though it means the fun is over.
It doesn't.
It just changes shape.
Instead of late nights outside, there are cosy evenings at home. Instead of sitting in beer gardens, there are coffees in warm cafés. Instead of spending every weekend away, there are slower Sundays and long walks. Instead of feeling like you have to make the most of every sunny day, you can start enjoying the ordinary ones again.
So perhaps the end of August doesn't need to be about desperately holding onto summer.
Have the final barbecue. Go for the swim. Sit outside with a drink. Take the sunset walk. Eat the ice cream. Wear the dress one more time. Say yes to the spontaneous plan.
But then, when you're ready, let it go.
Put the summer clothes away. Make your home cosy. Get back into your routines. Buy the candles. Start the book. Make the plans. Have an early night.
And let yourself look forward to what comes next.
Because I think that's what I love most about the end of August. It's not really an ending. It's a little pause between two versions of life.
Summer has had its moment.
And now, I'm ready for autumn.
Comments
Post a Comment